Joy Stanford, known lovingly as “Ms. Joy” by students in her community, is a wife, mother, housing and health care liaison, and substitute teacher in the south sound region where she has lived for over twenty years. She is a fierce advocate for women, children, education, equity, diversity and the homeless.
Joy currently works in the non-profit sector for Shared Housing Services as a Community Outreach Specialist, helping Pierce county residents avoid housing instability, and as a substitute teacher in the Peninsula School District.
Prior to becoming a substitute teacher, Joy spent 14 years working with local seniors and underserved populations to gain access to Medicare, Medicaid and other critical community resources.
She is a graduate of University of Phoenix, with a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration.
Her civic involvement includes:
- Member: Peninsula School District Community Truancy Board
- Member: Peninsula School District Equity and Diversity committee
- Member: Gig Harbor League of Women Voters
- Co-Chair: Gig Harbor-Key Peninsula Homeless Coalition.
- Vice Chair: Emerge Washington
- Board Member: City Club of Tacoma
- Board Member: Washington Paramount Duty